As seen on our sister website Nauti-Tech.com.
The Fourth of July is just around the corner, and it’s the perfect time to get your boat out on the water to celebrate with close family and friends. Boating is also an excellent way to avoid crowded places to best practice social distancing. Whether you have a small boat, a catamaran, a nitro boat, a superyacht, or anything in between, the Nauti-Tech family wants to make sure you have the best experience. Here are some essential tips to help ensure a safe and incident-free Independence Day on the water.
- Safety is everything. A lot of our customers and fellow boat lovers live in Florida or come each year to enjoy the beautiful weather. Unfortunately, Florida leads the nation in boating accidents and fatalities, according to a recent report in the Miami Herald. The United States Coast Guard reported that Florida ranks number one and has held this rank since at least 2015. Boaters must uphold safe boating practices. Alcohol is the main culprit of these accidents, and the leading cause of death is drowning. Follow the safety rules when you are out on the water to avoid a tragedy.
- Check the weather before you head out.
- Operate your boat at a safe speed.
- Understand the navigational rules.
- Learn about the federal requirements for recreational boats.
- Keep up boating maintenance. Much like a car, keeping up with your boat maintenance is critical in order to avoid incidents. At best, a system failure can make the trip uncomfortable; at worst, it can cause serious harm. Equipment failure will not only ruin your outing, but it can also put people’s lives in danger. Poor boat electrical maintenance can stop the AC from working or lead to an electrical fire. Navigation system failures can take you off track or get you lost at sea. Regular boat maintenance will help you catch issues before they become severe and will ensure that your boat is ready and safe to enjoy. Nauti-Tech is here to help make boat maintenance easy for you. We are a world leader in high-performance marine electronics and nautical technology for recreational boats, commercial yachts, and superyachts. Our solutions are engineered to deliver the very best in audio/visual navigation information, yacht communication, yacht entertainment, and yacht security.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Awareness is an important part of safety and prevention. By staying aware of your surroundings at all times, you can help prevent incidents from happening, and being vigilant means keeping a safe distance from the boats around you. There will be a lot of people on the water just like you. Keep an eye out for boats that might be moving too fast. Look out for boat with floatation devices attached to them as well. People on jet skis might also be hard to spot. Be aware of nearby coast guards or police in case of an emergency. Being aware of your surroundings is vital to preventing problems.
If you have questions about how Nauti-Tech can help you ensure your boat is safe, give us a call and we will be happy to help with any boat mechanic or boat service questions you have. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!